ABA Flight Calls #57
March 30, 2012
JOIN OR RENEW YOUR ABA MEMBERSHIP TODAY, GET $10 OFF AT THE ABA SHOP
Join or renew your membership at the regular price on or before March 31, 2012, and you’ll receive a $10 off instant coupon from the ABA shop for shirts, hats, binocular/camera straps, etc.
To get in on this special offer, you must call Liz or LeAnn at 800-850-2473 before 5 PM Mountain Time TODAY! Or, you can use this online form any-time until midnight Saturday.
BIRDING ETIQUETTE IN THE 21ST CENTURY
We all know (or should know!) that there are certain rules of conduct when birding in the presence of others. We keep our voices down; we don’t hog the scope; we only apply bug spray outside the vehicle and downwind of others. And regardless of whether we’re solo or in a crowd, we abide by the ABA Code of Birding Ethics.
But the 21st Century brings with it a whole new set of challenges, many occasioned by new technology. In a thoughtful essay in the March 2012 Birding magazine, Diana Doyle asks a lot of thought-provoking questions about how technology has impacted and inevitably will continue to impact birding etiquette and ethics. You can read the full article, and join a great discussion of these important topics here, on the ABA blog.
ABA ON LOCATION FOR SPRING MIGRATION
We’re gearing up for the thick of spring migration and the attendant throngs of birds and birding events. Two festivals that will have ABA representatives in at-tendance include California’s Point Reyes Birding & Nature Festival, April 27–29, and Ohio’s The Biggest Week in American Birding, May 4–13. We would love you to have you stop by and chat about any and all things ABA.
To see some great coming attractions from these events, check out the following blog posts:
Meet local birder and ABA Board member Robin Leong at the Point Reyes Bird Festival.
Come hang out with ABA President, Jeff Gordon, and his wife, Liz at The Biggest Week in American Birding.
You can help build a stronger birding community by joining or donating to the ABA: To join the American Birding Association, and/or to subscribe to North American Birds, call LeAnn Pilger at 800-850-2473 ext. 224 or visit: http://www.aba.org/join. To donate to the ABA, call LeAnn Pilger at 800-850-2473 ext. 224 or click here: http://www.aba.org/donate/.
- @JeffAStratford @WilkesU I have a Reagan/Bush '84 lapel pin that that dude might enjoy! 55 minutes ago
- Audubon’s “Melody” the Piping Plover eatmorecookies.wordpress.com/2017/10/17/aud… 1 hour ago
- RT @moietymouse: So much of science is designed to keep out people that can’t pay huge chunks of money constantly. I’m so tired. 2 hours ago
- RT @PeterPMarra: Saudi Arabia is full of wonderful surprises. So much to do here for bird conservation. The time is now-birds can't wait #… 2 hours ago
- RT @serchenheim: Keep your cat indoors! Mine has not been outside since it brought home a warbler a couple of years ago. Honestly, she look… 2 hours ago
- 234,962 hits