ABA Flight Calls #57
March 30, 2012
JOIN OR RENEW YOUR ABA MEMBERSHIP TODAY, GET $10 OFF AT THE ABA SHOP
Join or renew your membership at the regular price on or before March 31, 2012, and you’ll receive a $10 off instant coupon from the ABA shop for shirts, hats, binocular/camera straps, etc.
To get in on this special offer, you must call Liz or LeAnn at 800-850-2473 before 5 PM Mountain Time TODAY! Or, you can use this online form any-time until midnight Saturday.
BIRDING ETIQUETTE IN THE 21ST CENTURY
We all know (or should know!) that there are certain rules of conduct when birding in the presence of others. We keep our voices down; we don’t hog the scope; we only apply bug spray outside the vehicle and downwind of others. And regardless of whether we’re solo or in a crowd, we abide by the ABA Code of Birding Ethics.
But the 21st Century brings with it a whole new set of challenges, many occasioned by new technology. In a thoughtful essay in the March 2012 Birding magazine, Diana Doyle asks a lot of thought-provoking questions about how technology has impacted and inevitably will continue to impact birding etiquette and ethics. You can read the full article, and join a great discussion of these important topics here, on the ABA blog.
ABA ON LOCATION FOR SPRING MIGRATION
We’re gearing up for the thick of spring migration and the attendant throngs of birds and birding events. Two festivals that will have ABA representatives in at-tendance include California’s Point Reyes Birding & Nature Festival, April 27–29, and Ohio’s The Biggest Week in American Birding, May 4–13. We would love you to have you stop by and chat about any and all things ABA.
To see some great coming attractions from these events, check out the following blog posts:
Meet local birder and ABA Board member Robin Leong at the Point Reyes Bird Festival.
Come hang out with ABA President, Jeff Gordon, and his wife, Liz at The Biggest Week in American Birding.
You can help build a stronger birding community by joining or donating to the ABA: To join the American Birding Association, and/or to subscribe to North American Birds, call LeAnn Pilger at 800-850-2473 ext. 224 or visit: http://www.aba.org/join. To donate to the ABA, call LeAnn Pilger at 800-850-2473 ext. 224 or click here: http://www.aba.org/donate/.
- Y’all, I saw one of those lightning sprites! It was a red lightning bolt shaped like a giant U that went up into the cloud. So cool! 5 hours ago
- I was so excited to see a black-tailed jackrabbit up close on this excursion to western OK, but then I saw my first… twitter.com/i/web/status/1… 5 hours ago
- @JoeBuckInNature Grade Z, bitter amber for your flapjacks! 6 hours ago
- Fresh back from about 16 hours in the field to do my #BBS route in western Oklahoma. Some high/low lights: https://t.co/5B0nZNXZex 6 hours ago
- RIP, Koko. I remember when you named your kitten "Ball" and I was blown away. twitter.com/pmganguli/stat… 1 day ago
- 240,934 hits